Monday, December 14, 2020

Bulldogs Girls Soccer sending two student athletes to local D1 Programs

It's difficult enough for a high school student athlete to move on to play at the NCAA Division 1 level, let alone for two student athletes from the same team to do so, but that is exactly what is happening in the CHS Girls Soccer program.  Seniors Sarai Costello and Olivia Rodman each recently finished up their Bulldog careers and committed to continuing their soccer journeys at some big New England programs- Costello at Boston College and Rodman at Providence College

Rodman and Costello were key components to a championship campaign for the Bulldogs as the team dominated the Hockomock League Davenport Division earning their first league title since 2011.  They played under first-year coach Idris Senyonjo (center of photo above), who guided this talented group through a challenging season.  Joining the future Friar and future Eagle on the Hockomock League All-Star team were Mia Gilmore, Eliza Diletzia and Allie McCabe

Canton High School hosted a signing celebration this past month where both Rodman and Costello were joined by their families, Senyonjo, Athletic Director Danny Erickson and Principal David Turcotte (both seen in photo above), so CHS Athletics could officially announce the signings.  

Sarai Costello-

One of the most accomplished soccer players to come out of Canton in our 40+ year soccer history.  Costello joined the Bulldogs this fall for the first time as she was committed to her US Soccer Development Academy Club for her first three years at CHS. 

Coach Senyonjo had this to say about her- "Sarai is a very versatile player who was key to our team shape both on and off the ball. Her ability to link up play with the defense and offense was the key to the team's success. I am glad to have had the pleasure of working with a player who plays with heart, and loves and understands the game at a high level. I have no doubt that she will go on to great things at BC.

Here are just some of her accomplishments/accolades:

  • Captain of the NEFC Academy team for the past three years
  • Part of team who won the US Club soccer National Championship in 2018
  • Named to the Olympic Development Program Inter-regional Best XI. 
  • NEFC club représentative for the Girls Academy League national panel. 
  • Hockomock League All-Star- 2020

Most Positive Memory of CHS Soccer- "Winning the Davenport might be the obvious pick, but being back in a Canton uniform, playing with my sister and best friends, has been the best part of CHS soccer for me by far. After not playing high school soccer the first three years, I'm grateful that I got to end my Canton soccer career with the same people I started it with."

The Future- "Playing at BC and following in the footsteps of one of Canton's greats- Lauren Berman, is extremely exciting. My education and my game are constantly at the forefront of my mind, so being able to further both at a school that is recognized for Keith both academically and athletically strong is a dream."


Olivia Rodman-

Rodman, a senior captain, has been a fixture up top for the Bulldogs for the past four years helping to lead the squad to playoff appearances in each of those campaigns.  She has been a constant threat to score in her more than 75 games playing for the Green and White.  

Coach Senyonjo had this to say about her- "Coming in as a new coach, you are always hoping to have players like Olivia on your team. She gives everything she has and is always the first to be hard on herself when things are going well. She is able to keep her head down and just play the game. She has giving Canton High School four years of great soccer and scored plenty of goals along the way. I'm glad I had the opportunity to work with her."

Here are some of here accomplishments/accolades over the years:

  • 2020 Team Captain
  • Hockomock League All-Star- 2018, 2019, 2020
  • 2020 EMGSCA Team MVP Award
  • Eastern Mass All-Star- 2019, 2020
  • Member of the Scorpion Soccer Club ECNL team since 2011
  • Career stats- an amazing 40 goals and 19 assists. 

Most Positive Memory of CHS Soccer- "Winning the title our senior season - my last time playing on the team. Having played on the team for four years, all the ups and downs, it had really come down to a huge game to show what these four different teams (seasons) and four different journeys were all about. The positive experiences I've had on the team, my second family, are endless. but this one will stick with me forever."

The Future- "I am so excited to further my academic and athletic career at the school I've always dreamed of attending. From the moment I visited Providence College, I knew I wanted to be a part of the Friar family.  The opportunities this school provides for me both academically and athletically is something I am proud to have the next four years. It is a program that will lead me to success far beyond the years of college!"