Sunday, May 10, 2020

Howarth steps down as Girls Soccer Coach

After a very successful seven seasons at the helm of the Canton High School Girls Soccer Program, coach Kate Howarth announced this week that she is stepping down as the team's head coach.

Coach Kate Howarth addressing her team in her first season
as Head Coach of the Bulldogs- 2013
Howarth is only the 6th head coach in the program's 36 year history. She has been a fiery, inspirational force on the Bulldog sideline while guiding the team to the state tournament in each of her seven seasons. The team's record under Howarth was an impressive 73-49-13 including two trips to the South Sectional Semi-Finals (2016 and 2019). 

Howarth's positive impact could be seen far beyond the wins and tournament runs.  As an accomplished D1 College soccer star (University of Miami) with a stint in the Women's Professional Soccer League with the Boston Breakers, Howarth was a role model for all of our student athletes- particularly members of her teams.  Her decision to step away from CHS is just her latest modeling of excellence as she is stepping down to pursue her life-long passion to play high level professional soccer- explained below. 

As Director of Athletics and the Head Boys Varsity Soccer Coach here at CHS, I want to thank Kate for all she has brought to our Bulldog family.  She has grown a great deal in her time here at CHS. She provided a professional soccer mind and competitive attitude that are rare in the high school game.  Beyond that, she is a great person. She will be missed! Good luck to her in pursuing her next goals and dreams.  If anyone knows how to go fight for something, it's Kate. Let's all support her as she takes her next steps. 

Below is a message from Coach Kate Howarth to the Bulldog Community- 

Howarth's Bulldogs celebrating a goal
during the successful 2016 season
When I took the job seven years ago, I took it because I wanted to teach girls the game I love so much! But more importantly, I wanted to learn and grow and be someone who the girls could count on. I wanted to teach them to believe in themselves more than anything else. 

I am overwhelmingly grateful to have been given the opportunity to work for these girls for the last seven years. And they have taught me and given me more than I could have ever imagined. Coaching has made me a better player, a better leader, and more importantly a more understanding human. 

Throughout my coaching journey at Canton, we have had really amazing comeback wins, some gut-crushing overtime loses and everything in between. We have had challenges and adverse moments, but every single one of those moments we turned into a chance to become more equipped, mentally tough humans. Those have been the moments I have cherished the most. 

It has really been an absolute honor and I’m extremely grateful that Danny Erickson looked past my young, inexperienced self and trusted me to learn and lead the program he has so much invested in. I’m very proud of these girls and what we have built during my time here. We have earned respect, established expectations and maintained a consistency of winning. We didn’t always get the result, but we played a brand of soccer that I was very proud of. 

Watching these girls become better soccer players has been fun but watching them grow and become amazing young women, that is what has been really special to me. My hope is that they take these things with them in whatever they choose to do in life. 

It took me a long time to think about and make this decision. I’ve been telling these girls for seven years now to chase their dreams and that they are the only person standing between them and what they want. That being said, I think it’s time I start taking my own advice.

As many of you found out courtesy of Josh Perry on Twitter a couple months back, I got called into preseason camp for the Orlando Pride. I just have some unfinished business that I need to take care of. 

I have always told these girls to give everything they have and leave it all out on the field and I have always expected the same of myself. While walking away isn’t easy, I can walk away knowing I did just that. 

Thank you for everything! I loved calling Canton my home for the last seven years. And I’ve always been so proud to wear the C on my chest. I cherish my time here in Canton and will miss it very much. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart.