Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Coach Caffelle moves on after a decade at the helm of Bulldog Wrestling

The Canton Athletic Department announces the departure of Coach Brian Caffelle- our long-time Head Varsity Wrestling Coach.  Caffelle has decided to join the Braintree High School Wrestling Coaching staff. Braintree is the school where Caffelle teaches and is the community where he lives.  
Coach Brian Caffelle in action this
past fall supporting his wrestler from
his corner

Caffelle took over the reigns of Bulldog Wrestling from program founder Tom Bartosek in 2010- making Caffelle only the 2nd head coach in the program's storied history.  Caffelle was a Bulldog Wrestler himself before graduating in 2003 and moving on to study and wrestle at Norwich University in Vermont. Upon graduating from Norwich, he came back to CHS to volunteer with the Wrestling program until taking the top spot in 2010. 

The Bulldog Wrestling program has experienced many success both on and off the mat under Caffelle including two top four finishes in the Sectional Tournament (2014 and 2018) as well as placing third in D3 States in 2014 with only five wrestlers qualifying but all of them finishing in the top 8- a truly amazing accomplishment. 

Caffelle has had many proud moments over the past decade but pointed out a time this past winter as his proudest.  In a dual meet with Sharon, the 'dogs found themselves with a deficit too big to recover from with just two bouts to go.  But it was at that point that the team's heart really kicked in.  Despite having already lost the match, Caffelle's Bulldogs didn't give up, winning the final two matches and celebrating them as if the team were still alive.  Caffelle said, "It really showed me that we had incredible team chemistry and we were there to support each other regardless of the final score."

A message from the AD-
Brian Caffelle has been a huge part of our CHS Coaching family here over the past decade.  He is one of our longest serving coaches.  He really was a true program leader. He advocated for his wrestlers in every way- both in public and behind the scenes.  He is the type of high school coach that any parent would want their child to have.   Integrity is the first word that comes to my mind when I think of Brian.  He has truly been an amazing role model.  We have been very lucky to have him here and we wish him the best of luck as he takes the next steps in his coaching journey. 

Coach Caffelle had this to say as a farewell- 
"When I started coaching at Canton as a volunteer, I was simply looking for a way to stay involved in the sport that gave me everything in my life. I didn't think being a coach would have this much of a positive impact on me as it did here. Over the years I developed bonds with young men and women that I wouldn't trade for the world. Like any coach I've had a lot of ups and downs during my time at CHS, but it was an experience that I will take with me for the rest of my life. I want to thank Canton High School and Bulldog Athletics for giving me the opportunity to take over this program in 2010.  It means so much to me to have been given this opportunity.  I also want to thank the amazing Canton Wrestling community for all of their support over years as being the best parents a coach could ask for. Finally to our incredibly hard working wrestlers, both past and present, for having the courage to give the sport of wrestling a chance and allowing me to be in your corner over the years. It was an honor and privilege to be a part of your wrestling journey and I will always be grateful for that."
Caffelle (top left) with his 2018-19 team